April 7th, 2021
In the world of quilting, the right sewing machine and its accompanying accessories play a significant role in the creation of intricate and beautiful quilt designs. One such machine that has won the hearts of quilters globally is the Janome 3160QDC. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore in detail how to use the Janome 3160QDC quilting attachment set.
Introduction to Janome and the 3160QDC
Janome, a company founded in Japan in 1921, has earned its reputation as a leading manufacturer of sewing machines, characterized by their quality, innovation, and user-friendliness. One of their popular offerings for quilters is the Janome 3160QDC, a computerized sewing machine known for its versatility and ease of use. It offers 60 built-in stitches, seven one-step buttonholes, and a selection of accessories, including a bonus quilting attachment set.
Understanding the Janome 3160QDC Quilting Attachment Set
The quilting attachment set for the Janome 3160QDC includes several accessories designed to aid the quilting process. They include a walking foot (Even Feed Foot), a quilt guide, a 1/4″ seam foot, a darning foot (Free-Motion Foot), and an extension table. Each of these accessories has a specific role in making your quilting experience smoother and more professional.
Using the Janome 3160QDC Quilting Attachment Set
Walking Foot (Even Feed Foot)
The walking foot is designed to evenly feed the layers of your quilt through the sewing machine, ensuring a smooth and aligned finish. Here’s how to use it:
1. Remove the entire presser foot, including the holder, using the foot holder screw on the left side. Attach the walking foot tightly, using the same foot holder screw. Ensure that the white lever of the walking foot is resting above the needle clamp, allowing it to move up and down as the needle does.
2. Choose your stitch. A straight stitch is usually used for ‘stitch in the ditch’ quilting or when sewing your quilt layers together.
“L” Shaped Quilt Guide
The “L” shaped quilt guide helps maintain even spacing between quilt lines. Follow these steps to use it:
1. Attach the walking foot to your machine.
2. Snap the quilt guide into the slot at the back of the walking foot.
3. Adjust the guide to the desired distance away from your needle.
4. As you sew your lines of quilting, keep the guide in the previous stitch line to ensure equal spacing.
1/4″ Seam Foot
This foot is used to create perfect 1/4″ seams, which are standard in quilt piecing. Here’s how to use it:
1. Attach the 1/4″ seam foot to your machine by lowering your presser foot holder onto the bar on the foot.
2. Choose a straight stitch in the center needle position. Stitch #30 is the piecing stitch.
3. Line up the edge of your fabric with the guide on the foot.
4. Sew your pieces together, keeping the fabric aligned with the guide.
Darning Foot (Free-Motion Foot)
The darning foot is used for free-motion quilting, allowing you to move the fabric freely in any direction. Follow these steps to use it:
1. Lower the feed dogs on your machine.
2. Remove the current presser foot and the entire foot holder with the screw on the left, and attach the darning foot tightly with the same screw.
3. Use the same, quality thread in both the needle and the bobbin. For best results, use thread that is designed specifically for free motion quilting.
4. Select a straight stitch.
5. Move the fabric under the needle at a speed that matches your sewing speed to create even stitches.
6. Tension generally needs to be adjusted. A “blue dot” bobbin case can be used or simply tighten your top tension to around 7.
7. Practice, practice, practice, practice.
“T” Shaped Quilt Guide
The “T” shaped quilt guide can be screwed to the throat of the machine with the green thumb screws provided. This can be used as a solid seam allowance guide for any type of sewing, if needed.
Open-Toe Craft Foot
The open-toe craft foot, or “F2” is simply a variation of the decorative stitch foot “F” that comes in the standard accessory selection. This can be used for a number of applications that requires a clear view of the foot area, such as appliqué.
The extension table provides an expanded, flat workspace which is especially beneficial for larger quilt projects. Simply, flip the legs down and attach it to your machine by sliding it onto the free arm.
The Janome 3160QDC and its quilting attachment set can take your quilting projects to a new level of precision and creativity. By understanding the function of each attachment and using them correctly, you’ll be able to enhance the quality and efficiency of your quilting, regardless of your skill level. Enjoy the journey and the stunning creations you’ll make with the aid of the Janome 3160QDC quilting attachment set.