December 3rd, 2014
When it comes to creating bespoke garments, the right sewing machine can truly elevate your craft. That’s where the Janome 4120QDC enters the picture – a versatile, feature-rich sewing machine designed to streamline your home dressmaking and tailoring tasks while ensuring precise, quality results.
The Janome 4120QDC isn’t just a sewing machine; it’s a platform for creativity and craftsmanship. Powered by 120 built-in stitches, including 7 buttonholes, it provides the foundation for a wide range of sewing projects. From intricate decorative stitches to functional stitches perfect for securing seams, it offers the flexibility to customize your designs and bring your creative vision to life.
One of the features that make the Janome 4120QDC stand out for dressmaking is its programmable stitch sequencing. This feature allows you to combine different stitches together, giving your garments a personalized touch and enabling you to create unique stitch designs for your projects. You can also adjust the stitch length and width, ensuring that every stitch perfectly suits your fabric and design.
But it’s not just about the stitches. The Janome 4120QDC also comes with several presser feet, each designed for specific sewing tasks. The Overedge foot, for example, allows you to sew over the edges of your fabric, eliminating fraying and giving your garments a neat, finished look. The Automatic Buttonhole foot is a godsend for seamstresses, taking the stress out of creating consistent, professional buttonholes.
When sewing, the presser foot is one of the most important parts of a machine. It holds the fabric down against the feed dogs, which move the fabric forward or backward. Different presser feet are designed for specific tasks, and the Janome 4120QDC comes with a variety of standard presser feet that cater to a wide range of sewing needs.
1. Zigzag Foot: Also known as the all-purpose foot, the zigzag foot is perhaps the most commonly used. As its name suggests, it’s designed for zigzag stitches but can be used for most basic sewing tasks, including straight stitches.
2. Overedge Foot: This foot is designed for sewing over the edge of fabrics. It’s perfect for preventing fraying on delicate materials or any fabric prone to unraveling. It can create a seam and finish the edge in one go when used with an overcasting stitch.
3. Satin Stitch Foot: This foot, with its transparent bottom and wide needle slot, is excellent for dense zigzag stitching, such as the satin stitch used in appliqué, monogramming, and reinforcing buttonholes.
4. Automatic Buttonhole Foot: Buttonholes can be tricky to sew, but not with this foot. It allows for precise, consistent buttonholes. Simply set your machine to the buttonhole stitch, place your button in the foot to determine the size, and let the machine do the rest.
5. Zipper Foot: This foot is narrow and notched, allowing it to get close to the zipper teeth. It can be attached to either the left or right side of the needle, making it easy to sew both sides of the zipper.
6. Blind Hem Foot: This foot makes it easy to create blind hems, which are nearly invisible from the front of the fabric. The foot has a guide to help you fold the fabric correctly for this specialized hem.
The Janome 4120QDC also comes with a bonus quilting kit that includes a 1/4 inch seam foot and an open-toe darning foot, which are essential for quilting projects, but can be very handy for all types of sewing, The 1/4 inch seam foot helps achieve the perfect quarter-inch seam allowance, while the open-toe darning foot allows for easier visibility when doing free-motion quilting. The walking foot ensures even feeding of the fabric. This can be helpful for a wide variety of slippery fabrics, or for lining up checker or striped fabrics.
Each presser foot on the Janome 4120QDC is designed to make certain sewing tasks easier and more efficient. By familiarizing yourself with each foot and its specific purpose, you can significantly expand your sewing capabilities and the range of projects you can undertake.
In addition, the Janome 4120QDC is also equipped with an automatic thread cutter, an incredibly useful feature that adds convenience and efficiency. Say goodbye to the days of fumbling with scissors – with a simple push of a button, the machine cuts both the top and bobbin threads, speeding up your workflow and allowing you to focus on the creative process.
The machine’s design is user-friendly and intuitive, with an LCD screen and easy-to-navigate buttons. Changing settings or selecting stitches is a breeze, and the built-in LED light ensures that your workspace is always well-lit.
The Janome 4120QDC, however, is not just a tool; it’s a partner in your creative journey. As you grow in your skills and experience, it will continue to meet and exceed your needs, pushing the boundaries of what you can achieve with a
sewing machine. Whether you’re creating a bespoke gown, altering a pair of trousers, or exploring new techniques, the Janome 4120QDC is the ultimate tool to have at your side, ready to bring your ideas to life with precision and style.
In the world of home dressmaking and tailoring, the right equipment can make a world of difference. With its blend of innovative features, versatility, and user-friendly design, the Janome 4120QDC has proven itself to be an invaluable ally for home dressmakers and tailors, enabling them to express their creativity and produce their best work. After all, a craftsman is only as good as their tools – and the Janome 4120QDC is one tool that certainly doesn’t disappoint.
Please note: The 4120QDC is a home-use machine professional tailors should look to Janomes’ Professional line-up, such as the HD9 or MC6650.