January 11th, 2017
As with any product, the Janome Skyline S9 has its strengths and weaknesses. This balanced review aims to provide an honest assessment of this sewing machine, covering its main advantages and areas of improvement, to help you decide if it is the right fit for your sewing needs.
Pros of the Janome Skyline S9
1. Extensive Stitch Library: With 300 built-in stitches, including 250 embroidery designs, the S9 offers a wealth of options for both standard sewing and decorative work, making it a versatile choice for any project.
2. Ease of Use: The S9 has a range of user-friendly features, like automatic needle threading, an easy set bobbin system, and an intuitive LCD touchscreen. These elements make it easier for sewists of all levels to navigate the machine.
3. Embroidery Capabilities: With its advanced embroidery module, the S9 is essentially a sewing and embroidery machine in one. The ability to import designs via Wi-Fi expands the machine’s potential even further.
4. Large Workspace: The S9 offers a generous 8 inch throat space, which is a boon for large projects like quilting or sewing bulky items.
5. Advanced Fabric Feeding: The AcuFeed Flex™ fabric feeding system ensures that all layers of fabric move together under the needle, which is particularly helpful for multi-layer projects.
Cons of the Janome Skyline S9
1. Price: The S9 is a high-end model, and its price reflects this. While the range of features and capabilities make it a worthy investment for many, the cost may be prohibitive for beginners or hobbyists on a budget.
2. Complexity: While the S9 is packed with features that advanced sewists will love, beginners may find the machine overwhelming at first.
3. Weight: The S9 is not a lightweight machine. Weighing in at 26lbs, it’s not easily portable. This may not be an issue if you have a dedicated sewing space, but for those who need to pack away their machine after each use or go to classes, its weight could be a downside.
The Janome Skyline S9 is a powerhouse sewing machine, offering a wealth of features that can elevate the sewing and embroidery experience. It’s an excellent choice for advanced sewists, or for those aspiring to reach that level. However, its high cost & complexity could make it less appealing to beginners or those on a tight budget. As with any purchase, the decision should hinge on your individual needs, budget, and sewing goals. Weighing the pros and cons will help ensure that the S9 is the right machine for you.